Each year I put together a list of ‘the best’ records of the year to pin up on the wall in the Leeds institution that is Jumbo records. In truth this cannot be the best records of the year. 1. I haven’t heard every record released so it is unfair to discount those I haven’t even heard of, let alone heard. 2. Who am I to judge what is best? And 3. Well, I tend to post my favourite rather than what I think are necessarily the best. Aftercall what is the measure of ‘best’? Is it the most complex, challenging, critically acclaimed record? Does it need to have been influential, to have changed a genres direction, even created a new genre? Maybe some of these, all of them?
I don’t think that I can adequately assess this, so as I say, I tend to go for the records I have played the most, enjoyed the mosg and feel that are most likely to still be getting plays for years to come. That said they may still be among the ‘best’. Feel free to let me know what you think, I’m always keen to be pointed in the direction of things I may have missed. So apologies for the waffle, in no particular order here are my (ahem) favourite albums of 2014.
1. 40 Thieves – The Sky Is Yours (Leng)
2. Taylor McFerrin – Early Riser (Brainfeeder)
3. The Soundcarriers – Entropicalia (Ghost Box)
4. The Heliocentrics & Mario Van Peebles – The Last Transmission (Now Again)
5. Madlib & Freddie Gibbs – Piñata (Madlib Medicine Show)
6. Goat – Commune (Stranded Rekords)
7. Lumerians – Transmissions From Tellos Volume 3 (Cardinal Fuzz)
8. Paqua – Akaliko (Claremont 56)
9. The Emperor Machine – Like A Machine (Southern Fried)
10. Lone – Reality Testing (R&S)
11. Homeboy Sandman – Hallways (Stones Throw)
12. Tempelhof & Masin – Hoshi (Hell Yeah Recordings)
13. Vermont – Vermont (Kompact)
14. Cooly G – Wait Til Night (Hyperdub)
15. Andras Fox – Vibrate On Silent (Mexican Summer)
I put together a selection of tracks from each of these albums. The mix is below, I’ll follow this up with a short write up on each of these albums.