Barefoot In The Head
A few pics from the early years of Ibiza that capture the original Balearic spirt:
I have put together a selection of some of the original Café Del Mar / Balearic classics as played in the early wide eyed days of sound-tracked sunsets on the white isle. Balearic pop, tropical shufflers and more. Before the advent of Café Del Mar rip-off comps and identikit chill out music, these tracks set the tone for what was to follow.
- Art Of Noise – Moments In Love
- Antenna – Camino Del Sol
- Donna Summer – State Of Independence
- Linda Di Franco – TV Scene
- Flash & The Pan – Walking In The Rain
- Carly Simon – Why
- Penguin Café Orchestra – Music For A Found Harmonium
- Sueno Latino – Sueno Latino (The Latin Dream)
- Tullio de Piscopo – Stop Bajon…Primavera
- Richie Havens – Going Back To My Roots
- A Man Called Adam – Barefoot In The Head (Remix)
This is the latest mix I’ve uploaded to Mixcloud. A selection of balearic grooves, chill out, downtempo and a few more upbeat shufflers towards the end. This has been one of my more popular uploads, getting over 200 plays in its first 4 days and reaching the top 5 in Eclectic and Chill Out charts. This should go well with some sunshine and an Estrella.
There are a few new tracks, including the return of U-Star records with Shrinkwrap’s ‘Outhouse’, and recent releases from Is It Balearic? and Aficionado. In addition there are a couple of classics from Bjorn Torske, and an older release from International Feel. I hope you will enjoy it.
Tracklist to follow
With the sun shining these last few weeks I thought I’d share an old Balearic mix I put togther. Starting out with some downtempo sunset tunes it builds up the pace gently before getting to a more jazzy deep house sound. Ending up with a star gazing influenced tune by Time & Space Machine it kind of aims to capture a night on the white isle. Sunset, night and early hours moods.
I’ll be posting a selection of Cafe Del Mar classics next, with a few words on the godfather of the sunset mix Jose Padilla. A man undergoing something of a renaissance, it seems timely to pay tribute to the next in my gallery of dj and musical ‘pioneers’.
1. Nev Cottee – The Sun Also Rises
2. Antenna – By Bye Papeye
3. Coyote – Coyote Star
4. Soft Rocks – Obo (Tiago Mix)
5. 40 Thieves – Crystal Mountain Thunderlude
6. Prins Thomas – Hans Majestet
7. Max Essa – Peninsula
8. Baptiste & Pierre Colleu – Dolphin Kid
9. Neon Heights – There’s A Place Where Happy People Go
10. Mushrooms Project – Amazzones (Coyote Mix)
11. Donny Hathaway – The Ghetto (Dimitri From Paris Mix)
12. Louie Vega – Circi De Me (Wagon Cookin’ Mix)
13. Renegades – Let It Ride
14. Time And Space Machine – Buffalo Roam